Thursday, February 7, 2008

Singing updates: NATS recital bust, Stanford master class, opera previews

Updates on my recent singing activities:

The Fortnightly Music Club's Centennial Concert finally arrived in January, and our chamber chorus sang a spirited and enjoyable (well, at least to me :) performance of the Brahms Liebeslieder Waltzes. And let me tell you about the free-flowing food and drinks...yum.

I attended the NATS Student Recital in Danville last night to size it up, and decided that I would not be out of place performing there. I applied for the one in San Jose this month, but unfortunately they were full, so I've been waitlisted. There are recitals in the North and East Bay this spring, but I can't justify driving two hours to sing for six minutes. Will try again in fall and scout out other opportunities in the meantime.

Last week I attended Amy Schneider's master class at Stanford.

I listened to three more operas: Il Barbiere di Siviglia by Rossini, Cavalleria Rusticana by Mascagni, and La Traviata by Verdi. My current goal is just to get a sense of different opera composers' styles.

Last week, I attended a short preview of Opera San Jose's production of Rigoletto, and tonight I'll go to the short preview of West Bay Opera's production of Così fan tutte. They are great programs and are free, which is good for me because at the moment I am too damn cheap to buy opera tickets, which are decidedly not cheap.

Also earlier today, I finished voice lesson #17.

No comments: